What is Research ?
Research = Re + Search
Re means again and search means to investigate carefully. Thus, research means to investigate carefully again.
According to Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of current English, Research is “a careful investigation or inquiry specially through search for new facts in any branch of knowledge.”
In short, the search for knowledge through objective and systematic method of finding solution to a problem is research.
Importance of Research
- Advances in medical research increased the life expectancy.
- Research in semiconductor theory lead to the development of transistors, ICs, different types of memory.
- Institute of Microbio Technology devised a tablet for heart diseases.
- CSIR performed research in human genome decoding.
- Genetic sequencing will help in diagnosis and management of diseases including cancer.
and many more…
Research adds new knowledge to the existing store. It has been rightly said that, “All progress is born of inquiry. Doubt is often better than overconfidence, for it leads to inquiry and inquiry leads to invention.” Increased amount of research in different fields have made progress possible.