Microsoft Word provides a decent Spelling and Grammar Checker which enables you to search for and correct all spelling and grammar mistakes in your document.
Word is intelligent enough to identify misspelled or misused, as well as grammar errors and underlines them as follows:
- A red underline beneath spelling errors.
- A green underline beneath grammar errors.
- A blue line under correctly spelled but misused words.
Check Spelling and Grammar using Review tab
Step 1 − Click the Review tab and then click the Spelling & Grammar button.
Step 2 − A Spelling and Grammar dialog box will appear and will display the wrong spellings or errors in grammar. You will also get suggestions to correct as shown below −
Options to fix the spelling mistakes
- Ignore − If you are willing to ignore a word, then click this button and Word ignores the word throughout the document.
- Ignore All − Like Ignore, but this ignores all occurrences of the same misspelling, not just once but throughout the document.
- Add to Dictionary − Choose Add to Dictionary to add the word to the Word spelling dictionary.
- Change − This will change the wrong word using the suggested correct word.
- Change All − Like Change, but this changes all occurrences of the same misspelling, not just once but throughout the document.
- AutoCorrect − If you select a suggestion, Word creates an AutoCorrect entry that automatically corrects this spelling error from now on.
Options in case of grammatical mistake
- Next Sentence − You can click Next Sentence to direct the grammar checker to skip ahead to the next sentence.
- Explain − The grammar checker displays a description of the rule that caused the sentence to be flagged as a possible error.
- Options − This will open the Word Options dialog box to allow you to change the behavior of the grammar checker or spelling options.
- Undo − This will undo the last grammar changed.
Step 3 − Select one of the given suggestions you want to use and click the Change option to fix the spelling or grammar mistake and repeat the step to fix all the spelling or grammar mistake.
Step 4 − Word displays a dialog box when it finishes checking for spelling and grammar mistakes, finally Click OK.
Check Spelling and Grammar using Right Click
Rest of the process is same as in the case of using Review Tab.