The full form of VIRUS is Vital Information Resources Under Seize. It is a set of computer programs that disrupts the normal functioning of a computer. It enters a computer without the knowledge of the user.
Types of Virus
There are mainly four types of virus. They are as under.
- Boot Sector Virus: It infects the boot sector of a hard drive. It becomes active at the time of booting the machine. Ex: Disk Killer, Stone Virus.
- Program File Virus: It infects the executable files with extension like .com, .exe., .sys. It becomes active in the memory by replicating itself and infecting files on disk. Ex: Sunday, Cascade.
- Multipartite Virus: It is a hybrid of a boot sector and program file virus. Ex: Invade, Flip, Tequila.
- Macro Virus: It infects the files which are created using such application software that supports Macros such ass word, excel. Ex: Melissa .A, Relax, Bablas.
Some facts about Virus
- The first PC virus was a boot sector virus named as Brain. It released in 1987 by the Farooq Alvi Brothers in Lahore, Pakistan.
- The Creeper Virus was first detected on ARPANET in the early 1970’s.
- MyDoom is considered to be the most expensive virus in the world and in cyber security history, having caused as estimated financial damage of $38.5 billion.
Some of the popular viruses are:
- Jerusalem or Israeli Virus
- Brain or Pakistani Virus
- April First
- Ping Pong or Bouncing Ball
- Stoned (Marijuana)
- Dark Avenger